If you know Australia has the third highest number of international students in the world behind only the United Kingdom and the United States despite having a population of only 23 million? This isn’t surprising when you consider Australia has seven of the top 100 universities in the world! In fact, with over 22,000 courses across 1,100 institutions, Australia sits above the likes of Germany, the Netherlands and Japan, ranking eighth in the Universities2012 U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems.

These are strong academic credentials, but our institutions are just as highly rated as the cities that house them around the country. Australia has five of the 30 best cities in the world for students based on student mix, affordability, quality of life, and employer activity – all important elements for students when choosing the best study destination. And with more than A$200 million provided by the Australian Government each year in international scholarships, we’re making it easier for you to come and experience the difference an Australian education can make to your future career opportunities.

Do you have a specific study area of interest? There is every chance Australia has you covered, with at least one Australian university in the top 50 worldwide across the study areas of Natural Sciences & Mathematics, Life & Agricultural Sciences, Clinical Medicine & Pharmacy, and Physics.

Given this impressive education pedigree, it’s not surprising there are now more than 2.5 million former international students who have gone on to make a difference after studying in Australia. Some of these students are among the world’s finest minds. In fact, Australia has produced 15 Nobel prize laureates and every day over 1 billion people around the world rely on Australian discoveries and innovations – including penicillin, IVF, ultrasound, Wi-Fi, the Bionic Ear, cervical cancer vaccine and Black Box Flight Recorders – to make their lives, and the lives of others, better.

The Indian and Australian education systems are very similar in structure, i.e. 10+2+3. The international students can start the education in Australia from school, college to universities. Australia’s laws promote quality education and protection for international students. As an international student on a student visa, one should study with an institution and in a course that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Most of all the institutes and Universities are under SVP (Stream Line Visa Process) which is a steam line process from admission to visa for the student.

Top 5 Programs

  • Accounting.
  • MBA.
  • Healthcare.
  • Information Technology.
  • Humanities and Arts.

The average tuition fee for different programs can be: (AUD per annum).

  • Diploma - 12000 - 18000 AUD.
  • Bachelor’s Degree - 18000 - 24000 AUD.
  • Master’s Degree - 21,000 - 34,000 AUD.


  • Hostels and Guesthouses - $80 to $135 per week.
  • Shared Rental -$70 to $250 per week.
  • On campus - $80 to $250 per week.
  • Homestay - $110 to $270 per week.
  • Rental -$100 to $400 per week.
  • Boarding schools - $10,000 to $20,000 a year.

Other living expenses

  • Groceries and eating out - $80 to $200 per week.
  • Phone and Internet -$20 to $50 per week.
  • Public transport - $10 to $50 per week.
  • Car (after purchase) - $150 to $250 per week.
  • Entertainment - $50 to $100 per week.

As an international student one can avail 40 hours in two weeks during study sessions and full time in breaks.

English language requirements

In some cases, you may need to provide results of an English language test. Be aware thatthe English language skill level required by an institution can be different from the level ofskill required for your student visa application. You should carefully check student visa information on both the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website and the institution website for any English language requirements.

Academic requirements

The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) you need to study in Australia will vary depending on the level of education you want to study. Institutions can have different entry requirements, so read the course information on their website carefully and contact them to ask for advice.

Here is some general guidance on entry requirements for the different levels of study:

  • English language - Entry requirements vary between institutions, and according to the level of English language course you want to study.
  • Schools - Entry requirements vary between schools depending on the state or territory you will be studying in. Academic performance and ability is considered during the application process.
  • Vocational education and training -In most cases there are no entrance exams for VET institutions. However, some courses may have specific pre-requisite subjects or work experience requirements.
  • Higher Education an Undergraduate -To gain entry into an Australian an undergraduate course you will need to have an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12), or the overseas equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific pre-requisite subjects.
  • Higher Education Postgraduate -As well as the satisfactory completion of at least one degree at undergraduate level, your institution may take research ability or relevant work experience into consideration.

To meet the academic requirements of an Australian high school qualification, consider taking a Foundation course. Also called bridging study, they are intensive courses that will help you meet the entry requirements. They are usually one year long and are offered by most higher education institutions.

Visa requirements

The student visa you need depends on your chosen course of study. As a guide, the typical key requirements you will need to meet are:

  • Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate.
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement. Read more about this on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
  • Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs.
  • English language proficiency.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Read more about the Student Visa Key Requirements.

The DIBP website provides detailed information on student visas. It also has a Visa Wizard to help you identify which visa you might be eligible for.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It will help you pay for medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia; it will also contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency. When studying in Australia, you will need OSHC for yourself, and any family travelling with you, before you arrive. It is a requirement of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.

  • Central Queensland University (CQU).
  • Charles Darwin University (CDU).
  • Charles Sturt University (CSU).
  • Curtin University (CURTIN) .
  • Deakin University (Deakin) .
  • Edith Cowan University (ECU).
  • Federation University (FEDUNI).
  • Flinders University (FLINDERS).
  • Griffith University (GRIFFITH).
  • James Cook University (JCU) .
  • La Trobe University (LATROBE).
  • Macquarie University (MACQUARIE).
  • Monash University (MONASH) .
  • Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
  • RMIT University (RMIT) .
  • Southern Cross University (SCU).
  • Swinburne University of Technology (SWINBURNE).
  • University of Canberra (CANBERRA).
  • University of New South Wales (UNSW).
  • University of Queensland (UQ).
  • University of Southern Queensland (USQ).
  • University of Sydney (SYDNEY).
  • University of the Sunshine Coast (USC).
  • University of Western Australia (UWA).
  • University of Western Sydney (UWS).
  • Victoria University (VU).
  • Asia pacific International college (APIC).
  • Wentworth institute (Sydney).

Study awaits for you...